The AVID 4-Step Household Downsizing System
Downsizing your home can be a daunting process. Many people have lived in the same house for 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, and sometimes even more than 50 years. During that time, they have accumulated household items, antiques and collectibles, souvenirs, and probably many things that they have not used or seen for many, many years. But those things are still somewhere in the house … in the attic, basement, garage, or outbuildings … and HAS TO treated before the home can be sold and before those people can downsize
We have over 35 years of experience in the fields of personal property and antiques and collectibles, and during that time we have developed our unique AVID 4-Step (TM) Home Downsizing System… and we want to share it with you in this article. AND Avid is in fact a “System“It is not a single independent step, but four separate and complete steps that are designed to take you from a house full of excess personal property towards your goal of a next reduced and orderly phase in your life. Article we will introduce you to the basic steps of AVID Home Downsizing System (TM). And then in later articles, we’ll explain each of the four steps in much more detail.
In its simplest terms, the AVID home downsizing system represents four individual steps, with each previous step becoming the next. These four steps include:
- 1. Analyze… Your individual home downsizing situation
- 2. Value… Your personal property
- 3. Investigate… Your sales and disposition options
- Four. Provide… of all excess and unwanted items
And don’t lose sight of the fact that these four steps are intended to help you better understand how to simplify your life by selling your excess personal property in today’s market by:
- The largest amount of cash
- With the least amount of work
- In the shortest possible time
STEP 1: Analyze the individual situation of downsizing your home. You cannot downsize successfully unless you understand how the home downsizing process works. On AVID Step # 1 We will show you how:
- Review your individual Home Sizing goals and objectives.
- Analyze your personal property assets.
- Begin to classify your personal assets into ten clearly defined categories.
STEP 2: Value your personal property assets. Before disposing of any personal property, you need to know how much it is worth. On AVID Step # 2 you’ll learn:
- The mathematics of the sale of personal property.
- The different types of “Value“.
- How to determine the value of your items in the current market.
- What is worth keeping … and what to let go of.
- How to find out if you have hidden treasures.
- Start moving in the right direction.
STEP 3: Research your sales and disposition options. You probably have more put and disposal options than you realize and you should use them to your advantage. On AVID Step # 3 we introduce you to:
- Ten sale and disposal options.
- The advantages and disadvantages of any of these options that may appeal to you.
- Few will use all ten options. Rather, you should see them as “Buffet“of put and disposal options, choosing only those that are particularly suitable for your individual home downsizing situation.
STEP 4: Discard all excess items. This is where it all comes together. What is the best way to get rid of your unwanted and unnecessary personal property? On AVID Step # 4 We will help you close things.
- We will help you establish an action plan for disposing of your personal property.
- We will help you create a disposition schedule.
- We will show you how to execute your action plan.
- We will make some final recommendations.
- We can show you what to do.
Or, if you live in our general area, we can arrange to have them done for you. If this sounds like what you are looking for, stay tuned for our next article: Step 1 at AVID Home Downsizing System – Analysis of Your Individual Home Downsizing Situation.